Thursday, March 15, 2007

Cell explosion

I already started a new post few days ago but I didn't have the time to finish it. And it was only few sentences.

I got some news today about the exchange! ISEP sent my application to The University of Iowa! I browsed their web pages three hours today. I've planned my courses, at least what I'm trying to take. I also found out where I'm going (hopefully) live. And some other information too. After three hours I finally found when I'm supposed to be in the USA. 13th August is The Day. But I have to go there few days earlier because that day is the final day. And Monday. I think I might leave Finland on Thursday or Friday. Depends on flights. Though I can't seek them yet because I'm not 110% sure they're going to get me. And I don't know if someone is coming to get me from the airport or where I'm going to live that weekend (at the resident houses already, in motel/hotel or someones place?). But I try not to think much about it yet. When I get to know if they take me, I get a boost and get all excited. And that's the time I can do all those things. As well as to get my insurance etc.
Still so much things to do.

We'll represent our poster tomorrow! And then the EM-course is over. On Monday I'll have a pre-exam about our next laboratory course which will begin a week after the exam. And I took Jonnas SH-SY5Y cells to be cultured again. We're going to test the methods with them which I'm going to use for my Masters Thesis with some fresher cells. And something really dangerous happened! Our lab master Pirjo gave us the cells because I wasn't sure where they are and how to handle the vessel. And one of the cell ampulles exploded!!! I scared so much! And I was really close. Luckily nothing happened for anyone. But there could have been some cancer cells, bacteria or viruses in that ampulle! And the DMSO isn't that safe either.

I'm not sure if I said this already but my first room mate ever (Silja) answered to my mail! And it really was she! It was so nice.

I bought a webcam yesterday and were in Tupperware party. Of course I can't afford to buy anything but it still was fun.

What else... Tuula came back and was (and still is) really tired. I try to not disturb her much. I've been trying to do all the things my self as I can. I found the antibodies for us to use and the secondary antibodies too. And found out where the cells are and so on.
And she wrote to Michael and asked if I and Tarmo could go there after my exchange period. And it's okay! So nice!

But I lost my thoughts again. I thought this spring would've been easy (well it is compared to last Fall) but I've spent 10 hours almost every day at the university! Today we were home at 7.30pm so I'm really tired.

I was supposed to say something else too but I forgot what it was.

No comments: